Tuesday 28 December 2010

Cupcake dramas

I made my first cupcake order today.... was a bit busier than I expected.
Last night I had a test run (new oven, kitchen, life etc) and they were pretty good so I went to bed happy with my practise session. 
Off to the supermarket first thing to get some extra butter etc and started work at 10am (90 cupcakes to be collected at 4.30pm - so tonnes of time, seriously!!!) 
The first batch overflowed the cupcake cases, never mind, lots of time and let's have another go..... second batch (and I'm doing 24 in a batch!), came out sunken in the middle!!  Like doughnuts!!!  OMG - getting abit stressed now. 
Think of the science class, ah yes, oven too hot, cakes rise too quickly and then sink.... turned the oven down and they got better, but they weren't my best cakes at all!  So I'm hoping that because it is a children's birthday party for 1 year olds, then the adults will be rather distracted with kids running about and all they'll have time to notice is that the icing looks pretty not that the cake is a bit weird!!!

I must mention that mum was an enormous help in this drama.  I booked her up to look after Fraser while I pottered about doing cupcakes, la la la.  However, it turned into a frantic mum and daughter cooking and icing fest and I couldn't have done it without her.  Love your mum!  She'll help you in your cupcake crisis!!!  xx :-D
This was iced batch number one.....

No comments:

Post a Comment