Wednesday 8 December 2010

No longer the dry country

Mike believes it is a myth that Australia has droughts and that the centre is dry.  However, he's not yet come across Dorothy McKellar's poem "I love a Sunburnt Country", which was written in 1906 and continues... "I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains, of rugged mountain ranges, of droughts and flooding rains....."  So it was flooding way back then too.

We're having record rainfall here and many parts of Australia are indeed flooded.  Pearcedale received more rain today (I think it's rained virtually everyday we've been here so far!), but there are long bursts of sun and I'm still wearing a t-shirt at 10.45pm at night!  So not all bad.

Started digging up the veggie patch today, but the rain arrived before I could get the plants in and I decided not to get my hair wet by continuing to work out in it.  Fraser spent the whole day telling me it was raining which was very kind of him. 

Mike's onto room 2 of the house painting journey.... we decided tonight over dinner that we'd leave the big room at the back for David to do when he arrives :-)

Wildlife Victoria are taking the aviary at the bottom of the garden away for us, so I feel as though I've done a good deed for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment