Sunday 20 February 2011

"Would you like that with pink or blue icing?"

Today was the day of the First-Farmer's-Market-Cupcake-Stall.  And it went quite well, as in, people bought them, some came back for seconds and in the end we had 4 left out of the original 200+ cupcakes.  I can't say I'll be purchasing a Mercedes on the proceeds, but I might be able to buy a new lippy.

I spent most of last week cooking and had 30 cupcakes coming out of the oven at a time.  Chaos!  Ah but then came the icing. I was feeling rather nervous about it all, me being an accountant and all that, so not really known for my colour and design inspirations.  But at about 11pm last night, I did have a moment of creative pleasure when the combinations of pastel shades in the newly iced cakes, were well complimented by the particular shade of toppings I added, ahem..... (did someone mention cashflow, Balance Sheet, Accounting Standards, hmmm....)



However, I must say that whilst my cakes tasted great and were rather attractive (if I may say so myself), it was mum who really made the sales happen as she marched out to the path at the front out our marquee and badgered people to "try a cupcake sample" and then effectively told them they now had to buy one (and mostly they did!), as only my mum can do :-)!!  It was a fun day and a I made a bit of money too (although the hourly rate KPI needs a bit of review...)

Mike's on an early shift tomorrow and is then off to Rupert's in downtown Melbourne for their "Record Club" evening... ask him....  I believe the cows are performing well, but are particularly good with their aim whilst pooing (again, do ask.) They're calving at the moment, so each day presents new challenges as the new heifers (first time calvers) come into the shed and jump about whilst being milked.  Fun for all the cowhands.

The puppies are getting bigger, much, much bigger in Tessa's case, but have not yet developed any sense of etiquette and are currently racing around the room as I type, taking little bites out of anything in their path.  Even a balloon bursting didn't really slow things down all that much, it simply meant they could chew it more easily!


No comments:

Post a Comment